Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cap’n Crunch French Toast




I cannot understand why no one expressed the imperativenss in which I needed to have this in my mouth!!! I am not a Captain Crunch fan and French Toast is just ok on my food scale of deliciousness, but when these two join forces they are magic.

There is a place in Baltimore called the Blue Moon Café that serves this and I've seen people talk about it so I decided to try it today, as there was a half eaten box of the ole Cap’n sitting on top of the fridge. Boy am I glad I tried it. I used my regular French Toast recipe dredged it in the cereal as the last step.
Note: If you don’t have really firm bread I would suggest you toast it in your oven right on the racks for a few minutes at 300 degrees. You want it to be firm but not toasted.

8 Slices of bread (I used whole wheat)
3 Eggs
2 Tbs Sugar
3/4 Cup Half and Half
2 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Vanilla
Pinch of salt
3 Cups Cap’n Crunch Cereal
Butter for cooking

Preheat your oven to 275 degrees (you’re going to want to keep your cooked slices warm as you cook the remaining slices)
Beat eggs and sugar in a shallow baking dish.  Add remaining ingredients except cereal and whisk until combined.
Next crush the cereal; you can use a food processor if you have one. I just put it in a Ziploc bag and used my fist (let out some aggression plus one less thing to clean) you could also use a rolling pin or a pan to smash it. You want the cereal crushed but not powdered.  Place cereal in a shallow dish when crushed.
Turn you pan onto medium low heat and add your butter (about  1Tbs per batch). When butter starts to melt start on dredging your bread, first in the egg mixture a few seconds per side then into press firmly it into the cereal.  Cook on 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Place cooked slices into the oven and add more butter before cooking each batch.
Enjoy!

I topped mine with whipped cream and a little syrup, but I’m sure it would also be good with mixed berries or confectioners’ sugar or whatever else you can dream up J

No comments:

Post a Comment