Sunday, November 11, 2012

Fried Potatoes and Onions




Nothing reminds me more of childhood breakfast than this dish. It was a Sunday staple both at my house and especially when I went to visit my grandparents.
My grandfather does most of the breakfast cooking (I have yet to master his scrambled eggs) and this was something that was always on the menu. It’s a pretty easy dish but sooo good. I used my handy dandy mandoline slicer which makes life so much easier.

5 Large Red Skinned or Russet Potatoes (skins left on)
1 Medium Onion
2Tbs Oil
2Tbs butter
Garlic Powder, Pepper and Seasoned Salt to taste

Slice potatoes to about 1/8 of an inch in thickness and slice onions very thin.
Heat oil and butter in a large pan on medium heat.
Add potatoes layering onions on top. Cover with lid and cook for about 10 minutes.
Remove lid and add seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder. If potatoes seem dry add more oil. Turn potatoes over using a spatula so that the brown parts are on top. Replace lid and cook for 5 more minutes or until tender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment